Everyone loves to save a few dollars, especially when it comes to those must-have items like car insurance. And with so many companies promising savings, it can be tough to know which company has the better deal.
But don’t be swayed by price alone. You also want to ensure you’re getting proper coverage and reliable, timely customer service. So follow these five safeguards when shopping for cheap car insurance in South Carolina.
- Shop around and compare. Don’t sign up with the first auto insurance company you think has the cheapest car insurance or the one with the flashiest ads and funny sales pitch. Request quotes from at least three companies so you can compare rates, policies and coverage. You’ll want to make sure you’re getting not only the insurance required under South Carolina law, but also a policy that will truly cover costs in the event you need to file a claim.
- Work with an experienced agent. The internet is filled with insurance companies boasting cheap insurance in South Carolina, but that doesn’t mean they’re all qualified, knowledgeable and ready to help. One of your best safeguards is to work with a reputable company staffed with professional agents who can help you select the most appropriate coverage as well as help you through the often-complex claims process should you be in an auto accident.
- Be wary of scams. Unfortunately, many companies promise cheap car insurance in SC– especially through online ads or emails – but their sole motive is making money. These companies aren’t interested in providing quality insurance at a good price, and customer service is low on their priority list. If a price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do your homework. If you’re not familiar with the company or something about the policy seems questionable, research the business through the Better Business Bureau. You also can check with the South Carolina Department of Insuranceto see if the company has had any complaints and to verify it’s licensed to insure customers in South Carolina. And if a company asks you to pre-pay for services in cash or via a wire transfer, end your contact with that company quickly. Another simple way to check up on a company’s reputation is by visiting its social media accounts or any online review sites so see what others are saying.
- Don’t settle for the minimum policy. South Carolina requires minimum limits of liability coverage, including $25,000 bodily injury per person and $50,000 bodily injury per accident. As you’re shopping for cheap car insurance in South Carolina, you’ll want to make sure companies are offering at least these required basics, but you may want to invest in a policy that covers you in more situations, such as personal property coverage if your car is broken into or stolen. You may find selecting a barebones policy now will come back to cost you big bucks down the road.
You shouldn’t automatically dismiss a good price as a scam, but it pays to be smart and follow these safeguards when shopping for cheap car insurance in South Carolina.
Learn more about Manning Insurance Services‘ Car Insurance Policies.